The Battle of the Waters:
Exploring Both Worlds
In the world of fishing, the choice between saltwater and freshwater locations is often a matter of preference and where you live.
Each of these fishing environments has distinct challenges and rewards, from navigating the
open ocean to reading subtle changes in river currents.
No matter where you choose to cast your line, a few core essentials are necessary for a successful day on the water.
Read on to discover the incredible value of polarized fishing sunglasses.
We’ll also explore the gear and techniques you can use when dropping your line in freshwater vs. saltwater.
Essential Gear for Saltwater and
For many coastal anglers, saltwater fishing isn’t just a favorite pastime — it’s a way of life. Whether fishing from the beach, boat or something in between, you need the right bait and the appropriate gear. Knowing the tidal cycles, diverse species of fish, and rules and regulations on the water is also key to a great fishing experience.
Rods and reels, lines and leaders, and hooks and lures all differ depending on the location, conditions and type of fish you’re looking to catch. Perhaps the most essential aspect of both saltwater and freshwater fishing is being able to see beneath the water’s surface. And that’s where polarized fishing sunglasses come in handy.
Because when you’re out fishing, polarized sunglasses aren’t just an accessory. They’re a tool. They cut through the glare that occurs when sunlight reflects off the water’s surface. Wearing polarized fishing sunglasses is key to enhancing your visibility on the water and finding your next catch.
Polarized sunglasses from Costa are designed for the angler’s lifestyle. They effectively filter glare to help you see fish in the water. Wearing them can improve your visual comfort and your chances of landing your catch.
The Science Behind Costa's Polarized
Sunglasses for Fishing
Costa fishing sunglasses are known for their unique 580 lens technology. Designed for fishing enthusiasts, Costa 580 lenses offer:
Polarization – Featuring 99.9% polarization, these lenses provide nearly complete glare reduction.
- Light filtration – By filtering out harsh yellow light at 580 nanometers, Costa lenses enhance visibility in different lighting conditions.
- Color enhancement – These lenses elevate red, green and blue light to allow for greater contrast, vibrancy and perception of your surroundings.
- Blue-violet light filtration – Costa lenses filter blue-violet light to improve visual comfort during extended use.
- UV protection – With 100% ultraviolet (UV) protection, these lenses help protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays.
Costa 580 lenses are available in the following materials:
- 580G – Scratch-resistant glass for durability
- 580P – Lightweight polycarbonate for added comfort during longer fishing sessions
Some polarized sunglasses for fishing can also be fitted with prescription lenses for people who need vision correction. Prescription fishing sunglasses from Costa are available with single-vision or multifocal (progressive) lenses.
Choosing the Right Lens Color for Your
If you’re an angler, choosing the lens shade for your polarized fishing sunglasses often has less to do with fashion and more to do with lighting conditions. Costa offers 10 lens colors, each designed for specific lighting and fishing environments:
- Blue mirror – Tailored for fishing in bright conditions, offshore and in deep open water
- Green mirror – Ideal for sight fishing, inshore fishing and fishing the flats
- Gray silver mirror – Perfect for everyday water activities, even in overcast conditions
- Copper silver mirror – Designed for stream fishing, sight fishing and diverse fishing environments
- Gray – Suited for a variety of water conditions and activities
- Copper – Good for sight fishing, overcast conditions and other activities
- Sunrise silver mirror – Great for fishing in low-light conditions, like at dusk and dawn
- Gold mirror – Crafted for fishing in variable light conditions and ideal for everyday activities
- Rose gradient – Made for versatility in fishing conditions and good for everyday use
- Gray gradient – Perfect for everyday activities, offering a natural contrast in various light conditions
Techniques Mastery: Honing Your Fishing Skills
Mastering your saltwater or freshwater fishing skills requires the right tools, and a good pair of shades can make a significant difference in your overall experience. Polarized sunglasses for fishing should be an essential part of your fishing gear if they aren’t already.
Saltwater Fishing Techniques
Whether you’re trolling, sight fishing, bottom fishing or trying other methods, saltwater fishing requires a specialized approach. Wearing polarized fishing sunglasses may help.
- Cut through glare on the open water
- Boost your ability to spot fish and adjust your strategy as needed
- Allow you to detect changes in the ocean floor and make decisions about bait placement
Freshwater Fishing Strategies
Casting a line into the tranquil waters of a slow-moving river, lake or pond requires a separate set of skills. Fortunately, polarized sunglasses can improve your freshwater fishing game as well. From bass fishing and fly fishing to trout trolling and more, polarized lenses help you spot subtle changes in the water to track fish as they go after your bait.
Why Polarized Sunglasses Are a Game Changer for Fishing
When fishing in bright conditions, the sun’s glare on the water’s surface can diminish your visibility and make it difficult to see into the water. Polarized sunglass lenses filter light to reduce glare and improve your visual clarity. This can be a game changer when trying to spot fish and see underwater structures in finer detail. It also increases your chances of a successful catch.
When equipped with 100% UV protection, fishing sunglasses can protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays. Your sunglasses also serve as a physical barrier to flying hooks, lures and other debris.
Embrace Your Next Adventure with Costa’s Fishing Sunglasses
Costa sunglasses can optimize your fishing experience in both saltwater and freshwater environments. Made for life on the water, Costas can help enhance your skills, improve your safety and maximize your enjoyment on any fishing adventure. Visit Costa today to find your next pair of polarized fishing sunglasses.